Farmers face a number of respiratory hazards including grain and livestock dust, chemicals, construction dust, and exhaust fumes. Respiratory protection is an important component of maintaining your overall health and safety.
Updates to the EPA’s Worker Protection Standard (WPS) include additional requirements for respirator use. Pesticide applicators and handlers, including farm owners and their immediate family, must comply with the WPS requirements for respirator training, medical evaluation, and fit testing when they apply any pesticide for agricultural use that requires a respirator on the label.
List of Fit Test Resources in Iowa
- How to wear an N95 Mask
- EPA’s WPS How to Comply Manual
- OSHA Respirator Medical Evaluation Questionnaire
- IDALS WPS Compliance Summary Sheet
- Iowa Farmer Today Article: Standard Expands Respiratory Protection
- Iowa Farmer Today Article: Choosing the Right Respirator